Baby Shower Corsage & Maternity Sash – The Tradition
Having a baby shower corsage and/or a maternity sash is a special tradition to honor the mom-to-be.
On the day of the baby shower, the hostess traditionally offers the baby shower corsage and/or the maternity sash to the mom-to-be. The mommy-to-be may wear it:
- at her baby shower;
- during a maternity photo shoot;
- post pregnancy during your newborn baby photoshoot;
- or it can be used as a prop by the baby.
Baby Shower Corsages & Mommy To Be Sashes – What Is It Anyway?
Corsages are traditionally worn to honor people. At a baby shower, the mother-to-be is the guest of honor and therefore she gets a corsage.
In the “olden days,” the corsage would be pink or blue to signify the baby’s gender. That part of the tradition has mostly gone by the wayside. Nowadays, a corsage/ “mommy to be sash” are often made to match the baby shower theme or the mother’s personality. For example, if she is having a jungle baby shower, there may be a monkey or a lion on the baby corsage.
A baby shower corsage is a tradition but a maternity sash belt is more of an emerging trend in maternity photography and fashion.
In the past, a baby shower corsage was usually a floral arrangement and while people do still use flowers as corsages – things have changed a lot. Nowadays, the sky is the limit when it comes to designing a baby shower corsage.
In itself, the corsage can be a work of art and may include small baby gifts like pacifiers, rattles, etc. It may have tiny baby socks, it may even have baby’s name on it.
While a corsage is traditionally for the mom-to-be, you could have corsages for the aunties-to-be, sister or brother to be, and the grandmas-to-be.
Having a small corsage for all the attending guests is not uncommon either. As the host – if you do choose to have more than one corsage for the party, be sure to make mom-to-be’s corsage bigger and bolder than the rest because she is the guest of honor.
4 Types Of Baby Shower Corsages
- Traditional floral corsages with fresh or artificial flowers;
- Baby sock corsages – made with dainty little socks;
- Ribbon/ Fabric corsages;
- Corsages made with pacifiers or other small toys.
Where to wear the baby shower corsage?
People wear corsages almost anywhere on their bodies, but a lot depends on what type of corsage you have.
Smaller corsages are typically meant for the wrist. Larger corsages are often meant to be pinned. The traditional corsage is usually worn on the left shoulder. The wrist corsage is usually worn on the left wrist.
Wrist Corsage: If mom-to-be is wearing long sleeves, the corsage could be pinned to her sleeves, or simply wrapped around the mommy-to-be’s wrist. However, a wrist corsage could feel cumbersome to expectant moms, especially if her wrists are swollen or she is trying to open baby shower gifts.
Pin Corsages: These are popular amongst moms-to-be because a pin corsage doesn’t “get in the way.” Simply pin it to the left shoulder.
Baby Shower Corsage Ideas To Inspire You
Click here for easy video instructions on how to make a baby shower corsage.
Maternity Sash Ideas To Inspire You
Before you choose your maternity sash for mom, here are a few helpful tips
- A baby shower maternity sash for mom can be as simple or as elaborate as you like. In fact, you could put a beautiful ribbon around your belly, and call it a (beautiful) day.
- A maternity sash belt can be worn on a bare belly or over clothes. Don’t feel restricted in any way.
- If, as the host, you are planning a mommy to be sash for the baby shower – do coordinate with the mom-to-be. Ask her what clothes she plans to wear to the shower and make sure that the maternity sash complements her outfit. Neutral colors like white or cream can go with a variety of hues.
Note From The Author
Moms-to-be have a lot to deal with – swollen ankles, nausea, raging hormones, etc. It is always
nice ideal to make her feel special. Something as simple as a DIY baby shower corsage or maternity sash belt could do it. As the host – if you are able to do this for her, do it. It is a sweet tradition that will be appreciated.
PLANNING A BABY SHOWER? HERE ARE A FEW HELPFUL RESOURCES:
Hosting or planning a baby shower takes a lot of work. You will be juggling a lot of balls in the air. Use the resources below to make your life A LOT easier.
Baby Shower Planning
- 7 Easy Tips on How To Plan a Baby Shower
- The Only Baby Shower Checklist You Will Need!
- A comprehensive List: Baby Shower Invitation Wording
- 54 Breathtakingly Beautiful Baby Shower Centerpieces
- Expert Tips on How To Host A Baby Shower That Everyone Will Remember
- 89 Beautiful & Totally Doable Baby Shower Decorations
- Baby Shower Etiquette
- Baby Shower Invitation Etiquette
Party Favors, Prizes & Foods
- Easy Baby Shower Desserts That Are Truly Irresistible
- Strictly Baby Shower Activities, Not Games
- 72 Mostly FREE and Hilarious Baby Shower Games To Play
- 52 Easy & Delicious Baby Shower Food Ideas
- 41 Ridiculously Easy & Delicious Baby Shower Punch Recipes
- 55 Easy & Unique Baby Shower Favor Ideas To Fit Any Budget
- Baby Shower Prizes Your Guests Will Actually Love