What Is A Gender Reveal Party?
In short, a gender reveal party is a gathering of friends and family to “reveal” the gender of the new baby. Often, a gender reveal cake is used for the great reveal, (but there are other fun methods, too.)
In other words, a gender reveal cake is no ordinary cake. At a quick glance, it may look like a baby shower cake, but the inside reveals the gender of the baby. That is why it is extra special.
In this article, you will find tons of wonderful gender reveal cake ideas. However, while the cakes are spectacular, do scroll all the way down to the gender reveal cake cutting reactions! It’s the best part of any gender reveal cake.
How Does A Gender Reveal Cake “Reveal” The Gender Of The Baby?
If you plan to bake the cake yourself, the easiest and most common methods to create the reveal, are to:
- create a layer of pink or blue frosting, separating the cake layers; or
- one of the cake layers can be colored pink or blue; or
- the baker cuts a hole into the center of the cake and fills it with either pink or blue candy.
If all this sounds strange to you, scroll down to see what I mean.
Gender Reveal Cake Decorations
Baby shower cakes have become simply extraordinary. (Take a look here and see for yourself.) They’ve become edible art, and that art extends to gender reveal cakes too. As you will see below, gender reveal cakes are also quite spectacular. What sets them apart is that they are made with the very specific “gender reveal theme” in mind.
Then within the “gender reveal theme”, there are subthemes too, like:
- Waddle it be? (duck theme)
- What will it bee? (Bee theme)
- Ties or Tutus?
- Twinkle twinkle little star, how we wonder what you are?
- Stashes or lashes?
- Buck or Doe?
- Pink or Blue?
- Heels or Wheels?
- Prince Or Princess?
- Little Mister or Little Sister
- Quarterback or Cheerleader
- Mr or Ms/ He or She/ Little He or Little She
- Riffles or Ruffles
- Pistols or Pearls
- Guns or Glitter
- Bow Ties Or Bows?
This list of gender reveal themes are extensive but it’s certainly not limited to the above. For much more in-depth information, check out this post: What is a gender reveal party, anyway?
Baby Shower Cake Sayings For Gender Reveal Cakes
While the inside of the cake reveals the gender, the outside is often decorated to be intriguing. And to add to the intrigue, there are often poems or “cake sayings” written on top of the cake.
Some examples for gender reveal cakes are:
- Be It A Girl Or A Boy, We Simply Cant Say … But let’s shower the parents before their delivery day!
- Blue or pink, what do you think?
- Bowties or bows? Nobody knows!
- Boy or Girl, We Will Just Twirl.
- It’s true, it’s true. A baby is due. Will it be pink or will it be blue?
- Buck or Doe?
- Cupcake or stud muffin?
- Girl or Boy, a Bundle of Joy!
- Guns or Glitter?
- He or She? Open to See.
- He or she? Which will you be?
- Heels or Wheels?
- Little Mister or Little Sister?
- Mom and Dad are full of joy. Let’s welcome their new girl or boy!
- Little He or Little She?
- One fish, new fish, pink or blue fish?
- Pink or Blue, Hope Your Dreams Come True.
For lots more adorable examples that fit the gender reveal theme, check out: Baby Shower Cake Sayings For Every Theme.
Gender Reveal Cake Ideas
DIY Gender Reveal Cake – Video
Gender Reveal Cake Surprises
Note From The Author
While a gender reveal invitation is not compulsory, it sets the stage. Therefore, if you follow a baby shower checklist and you start planning early, do try to get a baby shower invitation to match your theme. It makes the whole affair that much more special because your guests will feel the anticipation of what’s to come.
Then… if you have spent any time on this site, you will know that we know almost all there is to know about baby showers. It’s our thing. But by far, my favorite thing about baby showers are gender reveal celebrations! Show me a gender reveal video or image and you are most likely to see tears of joy roll from my eyes. It happens consistently. I’m a sucker for gender reveals and I don’t understand why. After all – the surprise is not that big. There’s a 50/50 shot of it going either way, right?
As I was preparing this post, it happened yet again. I cannot help myself. And so, I thought I’d share with you this next video. Let’s see if you can stay tear free when you watch this. And in case you’ve found some great gender reveal videos – do share it in the comments please. I’ll be happy to add it… so that we all can cry tears of joy.
PLANNING A BABY SHOWER? HERE ARE A FEW HELPFUL RESOURCES:
Hosting or planning a baby shower takes a lot of work. You will be juggling a lot of balls in the air. Use the resources below to make your life A LOT easier.
Baby Shower Planning
- 7 Easy Tips on How To Plan a Baby Shower
- The Only Baby Shower Checklist You Will Need!
- A comprehensive List: Baby Shower Invitation Wording
- 54 Breathtakingly Beautiful Baby Shower Centerpieces
- Expert Tips on How To Host A Baby Shower That Everyone Will Remember
- 89 Beautiful & Totally Doable Baby Shower Decorations
- Baby Shower Etiquette
- Baby Shower Invitation Etiquette
Party Favors, Prizes & Foods
- Extraordinary Baby Shower Cakes
- Easy Baby Shower Desserts That Are Truly Irresistible
- Strictly Baby Shower Activities, Not Games
- 72 Mostly FREE and Hilarious Baby Shower Games To Play
- 52 Easy & Delicious Baby Shower Food Ideas
- 41 Ridiculously Easy & Delicious Baby Shower Punch Recipes
- 55 Easy & Unique Baby Shower Favor Ideas To Fit Any Budget
- Baby Shower Prizes Your Guests Will Actually Love